Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Upstream Color and Primer

Shane Carruth 2013 and 2004.


Shane Carruth's new movie, "Upstream Color," is now playing in select theaters. In the Phoenix area it's playing until Thursday at the Harkins theater on Mill. It's the best (and weirdest) 2013 movie I've seen so far! That's not saying much, but I predict it will hold its own throughout 2013. It's about a new drug that's either discovered or invented that allows certain mental abilities. If you have a worm that has this drug in its system, pour pop over it, and drink the "run-off" pop with your buddies, then you can know what action's the other will take (and engage in some kung fu). If, alas, some thief makes you inhale or swallow the worm, however, s/he can control your mind and take all your money by making you give it to them. However, there is also a character known only as The Sampler in the credits who seemingly helps folks infected by the drugged-up worm. He does so by placing the worm inside of a pig. Once the worm is inside the pig, everything that happens to that pig happens to you. So, for instance, if two pigs start to get snugly with each other, you and another one of the recovered individuals begin a romantic relationship. So, I guess, given how I've described the set-up, "Upstream Color" is a sort of very surreal romantic sci-fi. Excited yet!? Not only is the ensuing story extremely fun and interesting to watch unfold, but Shane Carruth's imagery is also wonderfully fantastic. Shane Carruth is extremely indie. He writes, directs, stars, produces, edits, composes (oh my god the sound track is amazing in this film), and shoots his films. It's no wonder he makes a film every 9 years, but, damn, does he do a good job. There's one part that I still don't understand completely, but I still highly recommend this film. You can't leave your thinking cap at the theater entrance for this film.

Shane Carruth's first movie "Primer" was released in 2004. Some friends of mine and I were fortunate enough to watch it at the Seattle Film Festival around that time. I don't know about my movie pals, but I was utterly confused at the time. At the same time, though, I was intrigued. This seemed to be the coolest and possibly most interesting time-travel movie I had ever seen. Years later I watched it again...and again. I think I understand it now, but it's still a very difficult movie. However, its difficulty is not a point against it. It's a very good movie. I highly recommend watching it, especially if (a) you want a reason to suss out whether you want to drop in on "Upstream Color" while it's still in theaters or (b) you want to see where Carruth got his start after you've already watched "Upstream Color" in theaters.

I can't wait another 9 years for another Carruth experience. Truly he is one of the most innovative filmmakers around today.

No comments:

Post a Comment