Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Drive and I Wish

Some of the best movies from 2011.

Nicolas Winding Refn's crime drama "Drive," starring the most awesome these days Ryan Gosling nearly made it on my top 10 list of 2011. Trust me, it's very good. 2011 was a strong year. I suppose my only criticism was the soundtrack. But if you can look past that, you'll be in for a treat from one of the fastest up and coming auteurs of the film world. The cinematography is beautiful. Low angles, dark, low lighting express a gloomy atmosphere that pervades the film. This movie is about expressing ideas and moods without dialogue, and it does it very well. It might be seen as a mixture of a bit of Lynch, a bit of Tarantino, and a bit of Leone's Man with No Name. If you're feeling up to, give it a try! It's on Netflix Instant!

My final recommendation of the week is from the depressingly underrated Japanese director, Hirozaku Koreeda. The film is "I Wish," and it is definitely on my top 10 of 2011. It's much more of a children's movie than his other films, emphasizing childhood innocence over the dark territory of his other films. However, it's definitely worth a watch, even if just with your youngsters. Get them reading subtitles early! It's about two real life brothers who are separated from each other when their parents divorce. Their goal is a reunion. Check it out; it's on Netflix Instant!

No comments:

Post a Comment