Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Holy Motors and The Comedy

Some goodies from 2012, now on Netflix Instant.

Leos Carax's "Holy Motors" is still one of my favorite films (top 5 material) from last year. And if I find the time, I will surely watch it again now that it's available on Netflix Instant. I don't want to say too much about what I think it's about because its meaning demands input from every individual audience member. I think there aren't enough movies like that, and I am glad that Carax is bold enough to give it a whirl. I don't think everyone will like this movie, but it's worth a shot from yuns. Denis Lavant is genius. I especially love the Mr. Merde sequence.

I'll admit that Rick Alverson's "The Comedy" left me cold when I walked out of the theater. But upon further reflection, I came to realize that this is a really, really good movie about a person that I just really, really don't like. It's like 2012's answer to "The Young Adult," if that helps put a perspective on things. We all know people like this. They're hard to like. But you must appreciate Alverson's ability to capture the behavior and lifestyle of the rich, aging, empty hipster. I look forward to seeing more of what Alverson can do. I hope you'll enjoy this movie and not make the same mistake of initially criticizing it just because you don't relate to the character. Really, it's okay NOT to relate. And I hope you don't! It's probably in my top 15 of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment