Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Paranormal Activity 2 and 3

Paranormal recommendations.

Next are the two "Paranormal Activity" movies that are up on Netflix Instant. I admit I am a sucker for these movies! I'm not so much taken with the story, though I do enjoy a good little ghost story now and then, as I am with the style and the constraints on the story-telling that the style imposes.

Rather than merely the shaky-cam style of "found movies" of old, the "Paranormal Activity" movies try to incorporate long static shots via security cams. As some of you know, I am a fan of long takes, whether moving or static. A horror movie is an interesting setting for the use of long takes. One is constantly scouring the screen for, yes, paranormal activity. It gives 8-10min sequences without cuts entertainment value where, typically, such sequences are irritating to moviegoers. So, I support these movies if people can learn to watch long takes through them. Then maybe folks like PTA and Ozu would be the next step. And finally, Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr? Maybe I'm dreaming. Anyway, back to the paranormal...

Because the style of the "Paranormal Activity" movies has been taken throughout the series, this imposes interesting constraints on the next filmmaker who wants to do the same, but different. This is especially interesting when we travel back in time to the 80s in "3." Here makeshift security cameras are used to good effect. I especially like the camera that's attached to the base of a rotating fan. (I've also seen from the trailers that laptops were used in "4"; pretty cool I say. Prettay, prettay, prettay cool.)

Check them out on Netflix Instant. They're not half-bad! Really! You may be surprised! I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment