Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Frankenstein and Serpico

Hollywood classics. First up is James Whale's 1935 sequel to his horror classic, "Frankenstein," "Bride of Frankenstein." Some would say that "Bride" is even better than the original (I would). This is definitely in my top 100 of all-time. I especially love the end sequence and the fact that Elsa Lanchester plays two roles (Frankenstein's mate and Mary Shelly) because of the way the story is structured. It's on Netflix Instant and it's really short!

Second up is Sidney Lumet's 1973 "Serpico," starring Al Pacino. It's been a long time since I've seen this, but from what I remember the movie basically follows 12 years in the life of a police detective, Serpico, played by Pacino. When he eventually begins to work undercover he begins to see how corrupt his fellow officers really are, and his struggle to do what is right tears his life to shit. Really, it's good. I wouldn't say it's as good as the Lumet-Pacino "Dog Day Afternoon," but it is a classic nonetheless. It's on Netflix Instant!

No comments:

Post a Comment