Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: L'Age D'Or, Un Chien Andalou, and The Trial

Surrealist classics! I'm not the biggest fan of surrealism, but the following three movies are all must-sees!

Two are from Luis Bunuel. The first is his 1930 "L'Age D'Or." It's basically a dream where somehow your quest for love is mixed up in a documentary about scorpions, imagery of throwing everything out of your window, and an allusion to 120 days of Sodom. Did I mention it really does feel like a dream! Definitely one of my all-time favorite movies. The other is his 1929 "Un Chien Andalou." Best possible synopsis: eyes getting sliced, ants crawling out of holes in your hand, and books turning into guns. I saw both of these in Spain in a Madrid Art Museum. I just sat there and watched them a few times (they're only 60mins and 15mins, respectively), awestruck that I was watching movies in a Museum.

Finally, there's Orson Welles's 1962 adaptation of Franz Kafka's "The Trial." According to Welles, this was the best film he ever made. I disagree, but this is a pretty spectacular movie. Surely one of the best of the 1960s. The grand sets, in particular, stand out in my mind. Well, of course, the grand man himself stands out as well. He is quite possibly my favorite actor of all-time. So much charisma!

Watch any of these on Netflix Instant, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment