Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Sherlock Jr. and The Conversation

Classics. Classic from the 20s-40s goes to Buster Keaton's short 1924 "Sherlock Jr." Last week I recommended Charlie Chaplin's "Gold Rush," so, it seemed only fitting to balance it out with my favorite Keaton movie this week. Any everyone should watch it because it's only 44mins! You pretty much have no excuse! This one's just as good, if not better, than his extremely popular "The General." "Sherlock Jr." went on to inspire other great movies like Woody Allen's 1985 "Purple Rose of Cairo." Seriously, everyone watch it on Netflix Instant! Get into the slapstick spirit!

Classic from the 50s-70s goes to Francis Ford Coppola's 1974 "The Conversation." The more I ponder it, the more I really think that this, more than "Apocalypse Now" or the first two "Godfather" films, is my favorite Coppola movie. The ending scene and the hotel scene are some of the best in cinematic history! Chills just went up my spine thinking about them. The opening scene is also one of the most memorable. Gene Hackman, John Cazale, Cindy Williams, Harrison Ford, and Robert Duvall are all a force to be reckoned with. It was inspired by the 1966 film "Blow-up" by Michelangelo Antonioni (one of my all-time favs). Watch it on Netflix Instant!

No comments:

Post a Comment