Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Arrested Development (season 4), Mad Men (season 5), and Top of the Lake

TV on Netflix Recs!

First, duh: Arrested Development Season 4. The show that was abruptly canceled and the one creator (Mitch Hurwitz) who (finally) brought them all back together (sorta). AD4 is really, really good. It is the perfect mix of new and old jokes, new story-telling structure with the same old complexity (maybe more so), and anustart from a cast that looks just a bit older. My favorite episodes centered on my favorite characters: Tobias and Gob (I'm glad they each got two episodes). However, the last few episodes on George-Michael, Maeby, and Buster are all top-notch as well. I've already started watching some of them again. I can say that some of the episodes that were a bit slow are more fun the second, scratch that, nth time around. Hidden/repeated jokes and layered story-lines were the best part of the old seasons. This season does the same thing, but there's no central family crises at the core. Some may not like that the family is rarely all together again, but I think it gives off a refreshing flavor. I must say, I liked the Rashomon effect that it gave way to. Apparently it was really hard to get the entire cast together. Often it appears cheap green-screen tech is used to make it seem like the cast are actually together. I'd say my biggest complaint, actually, is how cheap it can sometimes look. Did Netflix give all of its money to House of Cards and nothing to AD? But anyway: some of the individual stories weren't as funny as I had expected. Lucille, George Sr./Oscar, and Lindsay's stories are not outstanding, but like I said, better on a second trip. But I think one reason why they aren't as good is because some of these family members are most hilarious when they're in the group (making fun of someone else as in the case of Lucille). But back to the last piece of bread of this compliment/recommendation sandwich. Some other things I appreciated were the following. The episodes averaged a longer running time (clocking in at 30mins often rather than 22mins). I, for one, can never have too much of the Bluths. The tracing of where the characters have been for the last few years was nicely done and relates to what I said earlier about striking the right balance between old and new. Kristen Wiig as young Lucille and Henry Winkler's son as young Barry Zuckerkorn. So good. (Seth Rogen: disappointing/unnecessary.) Terry Crews, Isla Fisher, and, of course, John Slattery (aka the Silver Fox) are all really fantastic as well. Finally, I haven't said anything about Michael (aka Nichael), but he's really good too. His character, on his own, is a nice blend of old (still the most normal) and new (hitting all-time lows makes him seem more like the rest of the family: crazy). For those of you who haven't binged yet, go do so at the only place you can.

Second, I've also recently been able to finish season 5 of Mad Men. Mad Men, in my opinion, is the best TV show on right now (I haven't seen any GoT yet). Season 5 is just as good as the others. I really can't believe just how consistent this show is. I really liked the amount of non-linear and surrealist (dreams/LSD trips) story telling techniques that were used throughout. I also really, really, really appreciate the arc of Don Draper's character. OMG that ending. I can't wait until next year! Envious of all of you who are already devouring season 6. A few things I didn't like, however, were the way the handled Lane's story and Peggy and her boyfriend's story. Maybe more will be said in season 6 with respect to the latter story, but Lane's story was really just abrupt and unsatisfying. I really liked the Lane character in past seasons. But not enough time was given to his story such that I would care when it was left hanging... Anyway: I also think I could have done without the reintroduction of the Paul character and, alternatively, I would've really liked to see more of Ginsberg (maybe season 6?) and more of Betty (oh, how I miss Betty). Other than Don Draper's story I really liked Joan's arc, Megan (I'm in love with Megan), Sally! (she's fantastic!), Peggy's development, Roger (of course), and Pete & Beth (though I kind of miss Trudy too). If you haven't already, check it out or watch it again. I know I'll have to in order to tide myself over until next year.

Finally, Jane Campion's Top of the Lake must not be missed. If you thought Elisabeth Moss didn't have range, think again! Those of you who have seen Campion's The Piano will recognize the beautiful photography of the New Zealand landscape (including a place called Paradise). It contains quite a disturbing story and a mood to fit, so, beware. But for those that can stick through this kind of tense drama, you'll be rewarded. There's a real sense of suspense but also a nice balance of humor to pick you up from time to time. Without the humor, the show probably wouldn't work as well, especially if you binge watch it (which is what all the kids are doing these days). Probably the best things about this six hour miniseries, returning to Moss, are the performances and the character-driven plot(s). Moss embodies a wholly different character than Peggy from Mad Men. But she's equally awesome as detective Robin Griffin as she is Peggy Olson. Peter Mullan is also fantastic. His character makes your stomach turn and your forehead bead up with nervous sweat. If there's only one criticism, I'd say it's the ending. Things are tied together quickly. The tying is not inherently bad (Campion does it skillfully and much of the show is about things lurking beneath the surface of what might superficially be seen as a standard police procedural), but I think there should've been a second season or a half of season to really make how it ends appreciated. Keep in mind that I'm a nut about how endings end. So, given that I am trying to force this show on you with all my might, don't read to much into this criticism. Check it out on Netflix! TV binges!

No comments:

Post a Comment