Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Days of Heaven and Let the Right One In

Art House. Ah yeah, here we go, y'all! For an English-language film that I consider "art house," I'm choosing Terrence Malick's 1978 "Days of Heaven." Terrence Malick is one of the most consistent directors of all-time/still working today. "Days of Heaven" was his second feature film. As with most Malick films, it's less about story-arc and dialogue and more about visuals and atmosphere. Haskell Wexler did the interesting hand-held cinematography at the beginning of the film, but Nestor Almendros's work in the rest of the film is THE reason to watch this movie. Most of the movie was filmed during magic hour, so, it took forever to shoot. However, it's all the better for it. Of course, the night-time locusts scene is stunning as well. Netflix Instant!!!

For a foreign-language art film, I'm choosing Tomas Alfredson's 2008 "Let the Right One In." Forget the pointless English-language remake. Trust me, I watched both. Why remake something that's already perfect? Ugh. Anyway, I'm recommending this for at least two reasons. First, it's one of my favorite movies of the last decade. Hands down. Second, I noticed that some crappy horror movie called "Texas Chainsaw 3D" is making a lot of money in theaters right now. Well, if you want horror, watch this rather than spend your money on that. This movie has interesting romantic elements as well. BUT IT AIN'T NO TWILIGHT SAGA! So watch this instead of that as well. The cinematography is brilliant. It's on Netflix Instant!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment