Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Thin Blue Line, Hoop Dreams, and Vernon FL

Documentaries. Errol Morris is simply the best documentarian, and his 1988 "Thin Blue Line" just might be my favorite documentary of all-time. A regular who-done-it. This movie pioneered the use of crime-scene reenactments in documentaries.

Steve James's 1994 "Hoop Dreams" is an epic documentary about two African American high school students in Chicago who dream of becoming NBA players. This documentary is extremely engrossing, especially if you are a fan of the b-ball. Also the soundtrack is killer. My old b-ball buddies should watch this if they haven't! (I'm sure they have.)

Another Errol Morris. His 1981 "Vernon, FL" is perhaps the funniest documentary I have ever seen. It's basically just interviews with crazy, wildly eccentric folks from, well, Vernon, FL. I've seen this so many time and I laugh harder every time. The turkey hunter is the best character ever!

All of these are available on Netflix Instant!

No comments:

Post a Comment