Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Gold Rush and Manhattan

Classics. On the very old but not moldy side of things, I'm recommending Charlie Chaplin's 1925 "The Gold Rush." I first watched this in High School around the same time I watched his 1931 masterpiece "City Lights." However, it was "Gold Rush" and not "City Lights" that made me a fan of the Little Tramp. After that, I had to watch all the Chaplin I could. Check it out on Netflix Instant.

On the not so old side of things, I'm recommending Woody Allen's 1979 "Manhattan." Again, I watched this around the time I watched Woody Allen's classic 1977 "Annie Hall," but it was "Manhattan" that really excited me. The cinematography by Gordon Willis (aka The Prince of Darkness), I think, is better than his work on the Godfather Trilogy. The black and white is beautiful! The opening sequences is one of the most memorable in film history. It makes me romanticize New York all out of proportion. This more than anything is Allen's masterpiece. Watch it on Netflix Instant!

No comments:

Post a Comment