Friday, June 7, 2013

Old Reviews: Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Winter's Bone

Arthouse. Foreign fare this week is Robert Weine's 1920 silent horror classic "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari." I only recently watched this for the first time. What stands out the most is the interesting jagged art direction. Of course, all of the usual German expressionisms are there, but this movie is worth watching just for the art direction. I noticed that this movie was featured on Portlandia recently. Don't worry I'm not recommend this to you for sinister reasons. It's kind of like Martin Scorsese's recent "Shutter Island" except more interesting to look at. It's on Netflix Instant!

Debra Granik's 2010 "Winter's Bone" makes me think of growing up. I like movies that can do that. Jennifer Lawrence is perfect in this role. John Hawkes is really good in it too. It explores many themes including self-sufficiency, rural upbringings, gossip, and poverty in a culture centered on meth. It's one of the best anti-thrillers I've ever seen. It's surely one of the best movies of 2010. It's only on Netflix Instant tonight! Don't miss it, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment